Saturday, May 28, 2011

Chocolate Eclair Dessert


I wanted to share a quick and easy dessert idea for your Memorial Day get togethers.  I made this for a cookout I attended this afternoon and it was a big hit!  I didn't think to take photos as I threw this together so you'll just have to use your imagination this time :).  My hubby was sweet enough to take this quick shot of the leftovers from today's cookout.  I originally got this from AllRecipes but I've made several changes over the years.  Just make sure you make it a day ahead of time!

I hope everyone enjoys the long weekend!  Thank you to all service men and women who keep us safe!

_________________________________________________________
Chocolate Eclair Dessert
2 packages of graham crackers
2 3oz packages of instant vanilla pudding mix
3 1/4 c milk, divided
8 oz heavy whipping cream
1/3 c cocoa
1 c + 4 tbsp sugar, divided
1 tsp vanilla
1 stick butter
Whisk together 3 c milk and the two packages of pudding mix.  Pour the whipping cream into the bowl of your mixer and start beating.  As the cream begins to thicken, add the 4 tbsp sugar one spoonful at a time.  Continue beating until firm peaks appear in the cream.  Fold the whipped cream into the pudding mixture until blended.

Line a 9x13 casserole dish with graham crackers in a single layer.  Spread 1/2 of the pudding mixture over the crackers.  Add another layer of crackers, followed by the rest of the pudding mixture.  Top the pudding mixture with another layer of graham crackers.

In a small saucepan, mix the cocoa and 1 c sugar.  Then add the vanilla, butter, and 1/4 c milk.  Heat this together until boiling.  Continue stirring while mixture boils for a few minutes or until thickened.  Remove from heat and let cool down.

Pour the chocolate icing over the top of the last graham cracker layer.  Spread it to cover the entire top of the dessert. 

Place dessert in the refrigerator overnight to give the crackers enough time to soften.

Enjoy!

18 comments:

  1. It's very yummy! I can't wait to try making it myself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's not much left! No doubt it was delicious. Hope you are having a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks delish! And like something I could manage to whip up... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks delicious and easy to make! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was so good!! I made it for a family dinner and it was gone in no time. I am making it again today for a BBQ this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG THIS IS ABSOLUTELY DELICIOUS!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...